[Essay] do you want yogurt or chocolate mousse for dessert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanoos62

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's the meaning of "chocolate mousse"?

It is a dessert with a soft creamy texture. Check the dictionary.

not a teacher

According to Google Translate, it's موس in Persian. Don't you have an English-Persian dictionary?

Mousse is similar to pudding, but has a lot of air whipped into it during preparation to make it lighter and fluffier than traditional pudding.

According to Google Translate, it's موس in Persian. Don't you have an English-Persian dictionary?
We don't have anything like "موس" in persian!

Last edited:
Ah well, Google Translate isn't perfect but that's what it gave me when I asked it to translate "mousse" into Persian. Do you have an English-Persian dictionary? Does the word "mousse" appear in it?

Ah well, Google Translate isn't perfect but that's what it gave me when I asked it to translate "mousse" into Persian. Do you have an English-Persian dictionary? Does the word "mousse" appear in it?
Yes, I have a Oxford advanced learner's dictionary.
I've found "mousse" in it.
According that book's definition "A cold dessert made with cream and egg whites and flavoured with fish, vegetables, etc.

Last edited:
That would be a savoury mousse. When you say mousse to most BrE speakers, they think of a dessert, like the one you used in your title - chocolate mousse. I don't think the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (note the capitalisation) is an English-Persian dictionary. Don't you have a dictionary in which you can look up an English word and it tells you the Persian equivalent?

For more definitions, bookmark OneLook - here is the page of entries for the word "mousse". You will be able to see the definition from multiple dictionaries.

According that book's definition "A cold dessert made with cream and egg whites and flavoured with fish, vegetables, etc.
A mousse made with fish or vegetables wouldn't usually be described as a "dessert." Salmon mousse, for example, is usually an appetizer ("starter" in BrE) or a snack item. Sweet potato mousse would be served as a side dish with an entree, like a traditional vegetable dish.

Dish would be a better term than dessert there because it would cover savoury starters and sweet desserts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back