Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

I would like ask a question about the difference of nuance between "Do you wanna -----?" and "Did you wanna ----?"
I wrote the situation and four questions (a-d) below.

The situation I mean is like when you were having some traditional or unique snack (e.g. seaweed asian snack) from your own country in a kitchen at work place when your colleague came and just took a glance at your stuff.
You just got wondering if he wanted to try some or he meant he did not like it as the snack looked ugly/unique in color or appearance.

Then you're gonna ask just as a daily conversation saying
1) Do you wanna try this?
2) Did you wanna try this?

In my understanding, (1) slightly implies you want him to try some as you think it tastes good despite how it looks like.
But if you did not mean you want to recommend it at all and just wanted to make sure if he wanna try or not,
a) Would you use (1) or (2)?

In (2),
b) Does it sound polite as it is past tense?
c) Or does it sound unnatural as it is past tense whereas it is just happing? (should be present tense?)
d) Which tense would you use in this context?

Thank you in advance.

I see no reason you should use the past tense, as if it is referring to something from the past.

The teachers in this forum do not encourage the use of slang like "wanna" and "gonna".

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I would like to ask a question about the difference/ [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] nuance between "Do you wanna -----?" and "Did you wanna ----?"
Note that "nuance" means slight difference.

I [STRIKE]wrote[/STRIKE] made up the situation and four questions (a-d) below.

[STRIKE]The situation I mean is like when[/STRIKE] You [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] are having some traditional or unique snack (e.g. seaweed Asian snack) from your own country in [STRIKE]a kitchen at work place when your[/STRIKE] the canteen and a colleague [STRIKE]came[/STRIKE] enters and just [STRIKE]took[/STRIKE] takes a glance at your stuff.
You [STRIKE]just got wondering[/STRIKE] wonder if [STRIKE]he wanted[/STRIKE] they want to try some, but they appear reluctant. [STRIKE]or he meant he did not like it as the snack looked ugly/unique in color or appearance.[/STRIKE]

Then can you say either of the following? [STRIKE]you're gonna ask just as a daily conversation saying[/STRIKE]
1) Do you wanna try this?
2) Did you wanna try this?

In my understanding, (1) slightly implies you want him/her to try some as you think it tastes good despite how it looks like.
But if you did not mean you want to recommend it at all and just wanted to [STRIKE]make sure[/STRIKE] ask if he/she wanted to wanna try it, [STRIKE]or not, a) Would[/STRIKE] would you use (1) or (2)?

In (2),
b) Does it sound polite as it is in the past tense?
c) Or does it sound unnatural as it is in the past tense whereas it is just happening? (should it be in the present tense?)
d) Which tense would you use in this context?
See above.
Say for example, "Would you like to try some?"

I see no reason you should use the past tense, as if it is referring to something from the past.

The past tense isn't referring to anything from the past. This is past tense for 'distancing'.

The teachers in this forum do not encourage the use of slang like "wanna" and "gonna".

I strongly encourage speakers to use these forms, and so would most of the teachers I know. They're not slang.

I strongly encourage speakers to use these forms and so would most of the teachers I know. They're not slang.
They are typical examples of casual/colloquial speech. Thus, they would not be appropriate in any formal/semi-formal context, regardless of whether in speech or written form.

I strongly encourage speakers to use these forms
I don't.

I actively discourage the use of such forms as wanna in writing except for informal internet communication.

In speech, I discourage the use of such (usually) unnatural forms as /ˈwɒnt tuː/, but do not encourage the use of /ˈwɒnə/ until we can establish in which contexts it is appropriate.

They are typical examples of casual/colloquial speech. Thus, they would not be appropriate in any formal/semi-formal context, regardless of whether in speech or written form.

True, but this is not a formal context. On the contrary, it's informal, casual speech. Pronouncing want to as 'wanna' is highly appropriate.

I didn't mean to suggest that these forms are always to be encouraged. Just that in some contexts they are very much to be encouraged.

I actively discourage the use of such forms as wanna in writing except for informal internet communication.

Absolutely, yes, I imagine we all agree on that.

In speech, I discourage the use of such (usually) unnatural forms as /ˈwɒnt tuː/, but do not encourage the use of /ˈwɒnə/ until we can establish in which contexts it is appropriate.

Yes, right.

I'll repeat: I didn't mean to say that we should always encourage learners to say 'wanna'. I was just objecting to tedmc's apparent claim that we discourage ever using it. Second, I was talking only about casual speech, not writing. I hope we're all on the same page now.

I think so.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back