Do you use the word "and" for reading numbers?

Soleil

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hello!

Could you please help me with reading numbers?

• Is it common in British English to say “and” after “hundred”? For example, is it correct to say: 2,450,670 “two million four hundred and fifty thousand six hundred and seventy?
  • In American English, do you use “and” for reading numbers? If “yes”, in which cases?

Hello!

Could you please help me with reading numbers aloud?

1. Is it common in British English to say “and” after “hundred”? For example, is it correct to say no colon here 2,450,670 as “two million, four hundred and fifty thousand, six hundred and seventy"?

2. In American English, do you use “and” for when reading numbers? If “yes” If so, in which cases?
Please note my corrections above.

1. Yes, that's exactly how we'd say it in the UK. As your example indicates, we also use "and" after "thousand" in that number. (Edit: that's not quite what I meant. See the next two posts.)
2. An AmE speaker will comment shortly, I'm sure.

Please note my corrections above.

1. Yes, that's exactly how we'd say it in the UK. As your example indicates, we also use "and" after "thousand" in that number.
2. An AmE speaker will comment shortly, I'm sure.
Would you say 2,450,670 as “two million, four hundred and fifty thousand and six hundred and seventy"?

Would you say 2,450,670 as “two million, four hundred and fifty thousand and six hundred and seventy"?
No! I'm so sorry, I completely misled you. I was thinking of the fact that we would say, for example, "four thousand and sixty" (for a number with no hundreds after the thousands).

No! I'm so sorry, I completely misled you. I was thinking of the fact that we would say, for example, "four thousand and sixty" (for a number with no hundreds after the thousands).
Thank you!

Hello!

Could you please help me with reading numbers?

• Is it common in British English to say “and” after “hundred”? For example, is it correct to say: 2,450,670 “two million four hundred and fifty thousand six hundred and seventy?
  • In American English, do you use “and” for reading numbers? If “yes”, in which cases?
There are too many "ands" in the first one. 670 - six hundred and seventy.

"Six hundred and seventy" is exactly what the OP wrote.
The OP wrote: "Is it correct to say 2,450,670 "two million four hundred and fifty thousand, six hundred and seventy"?

The OP wrote: "Is it correct to say 2,450,670 "two million four hundred and fifty thousand, six hundred and seventy?"
Yes, I know what they wrote. It has the correct number of "and"s in BrE. If you're answering question 2 about how it's said in AmE, please make that clear, and explain why you're saying there are "too many ands".

I just know I would only use one.

670 doesn't appear as a separate figure.

It's part of the number being discussed.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back