Do you speak any other language other than English?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does seem odd. It might make sense if English is not the person's first language. For instance, if you're talking to another Brazilian, you might say (in Portuguese):

"Do you speak any other languages?"
"Yes, I also speak English."
"Oh! And do you speak any other foreign languages, other than English?"

Is the sentence above right? Isn't the double use of "other" redundant in this case?

Using "other" twice isn't just redundant; it makes the sentence grammatically incorrect.

It does seem odd. It might make sense if English is not the person's first language. For instance, if you're talking to another Brazilian, you might say (in Portuguese):

"Do you speak any other languages?"
"Yes, I also speak English."
"Oh! And do you speak any other foreign languages, other than English?"

Charlie, as for your third sentence, is it also right to ask Do you speak any other foreigh language (singular), other than English?

Isn't the double use of "other" reduntand in this case?

NOT A TEACHER

I think that it is redundant, too.

If I understand my favorite grammarian, your sentence is apparently a shorter way of saying: "Do you speak any language [which is] other than English?"

Source: George Oliver Curme, A Grammar of the English Language (1931), Volume II, page 533.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back