Do you read instructions, manuals, or do you rely on your "smart" brain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnas

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

The manuals and instructions about any kind of gadgets and devices are so big nowadays. In fact, they demand a significant amount of time from us in order to describe every potentiality of a product. However, sometimes we need instructions and manuals more objectives so that we will be ables to use a new smartphone, iphone, tablet, computer, and so on. After all, we do not have so many time to read big manuals today.

What do you think about? And, what can you talk about my mistakes?

Hugs!

Re: Do you read instructions, manuals, or do you rely on your "smart" brain?

I think big manuals are a very bad idea. The instructions for assembling IKEA furniture are a great example. They use no words at all. They are pure ideograms. And as far as electronic equipment is concerned, the less intuitive it is, the less likely it is to succeed in the marketplace.

You call them thick manuals, not big manuals.
Thicks manuals are getting obsolete these days. The manufacturers nowadays usually provide thin, condensed manuals to get users started on the basic operations of their products. The detailed information can be uploaded from their websites.
The buzzword for electronic gadget operation is intuitive design, as probus mentioned. The same operation logic applies to all gadgets, so it is easy for someone who knows how to operate one type of gadget to switch to using another type.

potentiality of a product - features of a product
so many time - so much time (this is so basic)

What do you think[STRIKE] about[/STRIKE]? [STRIKE]And, what can you talk about[/STRIKE]Can you please tell me my mistakes?

And yes, a picture or diagram especially on things to do with equipment and devices, is worth a thousand words.

Last edited:

Computing people use RTFM- Read The Manual, the F is said to be silent, but refers to a rude word. However, designers are getting much better at making products that are intuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back