Do you pronounce "January " this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pronounce it the way it's spelled.

No, your pronunciation is not good. The third syllable should sound like the word "air." That syllable also has minor stress. JAN-you-AIR-eee

No, your pronunciation is not good. The third syllable should sound like the word "air." That syllable also has minor stress. JAN-you-AIR-eee
I did as in this link. It is British . Still bad?.

It doesn't sound like January. :(

Try again.

I pronounce it the way it's spelled.
If only that could be said about every English word. ;)

Last edited:
I did as in this link. It is British . Still bad?.
It's better, but I pronounce all four syllables -- the way @SoothingDave indicated.

Still bad?
Yes:
1- You say the "zh" sound (as in television). That is not the same as the /dʒ/ (as in Jim).
2- Your /yoo/ for the second syllable (January) is too long.
3- You omit the second "a" sound which is actually a schwa (January).
4- Your stress placement is wrong. You put the stress on the second and last syllables, whereas it should be only on the first.
----------------------------------
Try again. Say:
1- /Jan/ (pay attention to the /dʒ/ sound).
2- /Yoo/ (don't make it too long).
3- Schwa.
4- /ree/ (not too long).

It depends on what accent you're going for. From the contents of this thread, it appears that AmE speakers favour a four-syllable word. However, if you're aiming for BrE, use what 5jj posted earlier. In standard, natural, everyday conversation in BrE, it's three syllables - JAN-YUH-REE

mohammedabo, you still need to accentuate the first syllable. Go back to post #12 and listen to the video one more time. Notice how the presenter emphasizes the first syllable. (y) Keep trying, my friend! Practice makes perfect!;)

It sounds a lot worse to me!

Did you actually read my comments above?
- The /dʒ/ sound (as in fridge) is not the same as the /ʒ/ sound (as in television). I suggest you listen to (a lot of) examples of both, learn the difference, and practice saying each sound on its own.
- Your stress placement is completely wrong. There should be just one stress, on the first syllable.
- The third syllable is /ue/ or a schwa /ə/, but you say it like /eə/ (as in the word wary). That is wrong!

It sounds a lot worse to me!

Did you actually read my comments above?
- The /dʒ/ sound (as in fridge) is not the same as the /ʒ/ sound (as in television). I suggest you listen to (a lot of) examples of both, learn the difference, and practice saying each sound on its own.
- Your stress placement is completely wrong. There should be just one stress, on the first syllable.
- The third syllable is /ue/ or a schwa /ə/, but you say it like /eə/ (as in the word wary). That is wrong!
Thank you for your help.I depend on listening only. I am not so good at transcriptions.
I will do my best to say it correctly.

mohammedabo, you still need to accentuate the first syllable. Go back to post #12 and listen to the video one more time. Notice how the presenter emphasizes the first syllable. (y) Keep trying, my friend! Practice makes perfect!;)
That is all for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back