Do you know him to have gone abroad two days ago?

shatilof

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have been doing some exercises on Complex Object and came across the following sentences which looked quite strange to me:

She could hardly believe him to have been rescued.

Does it sound English?
Thank you in advance.

I have been doing some exercises on Complex Object and came across the following sentences which looked quite strange to me:

She could hardly believe him to have been rescued.

Does it sound English?

[..............]
They seem very strange.

Do you know him to have gone abroad two days ago? Either one could have gone abroad.

She could hardly believe him to have been rescued. Either one could have been rescued.

Does it sound Are they correct English?

Thank you in advance.

They don't make sense.

Last edited:
Yes, this is formal English, so it will sound strange and unnatural to a lot of people.

Yes, this is formal English, so it will sound strange and unnatural to a lot of people.
Do the two sentences make sense though?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what that means. But I'm not sure what what formal English is either. Is it something you can understand?

I have been doing some exercises on Complex Object and came across the following sentences ...

Where did you find these sentences? Please name the source and author.

I would have expected the author to have begun with the simplest form of complex object:

I gave her a kiss.

Do the two sentences make sense though?

Yes. Here are paraphrases:

As far as you know, did he go abroad two days ago?
She could hardly believe that he had been rescued.

Yes. Here are paraphrases:

As far as you know, did he go abroad two days ago?
She could hardly believe that he had been rescued.
Those make sense.

Reactions: 5jj

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back