Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is 'yes I do'', or no, ''I don't'' correct answer to the question in bold?

''Do you have vegetables for lunch''?
'' Yes, I have. Yes, I do''.
''No, I haven't. No, I don't''.

Isn't there an explanation why it should be ''Yes, I do/No, I don't, and not yes I have/No, I haven't?

As in:I had to go, or she has just arrived?

"Yes I have/No I haven't" would be possible answers (in this context) to "Have you had vegetables for lunch?" However, the more common question would be "Did you have vegetables for lunch?"

Are you asking whether the person eats vegetables for lunch or has got vegetables for lunch?

Yes, this is a crucial question. Different senses of have would elicit different answers: either Yes, I do or Yes, I have respectively.

Yes, this is a crucial question. Different senses of have would elicit different answers: either Yes, I do or Yes, I have respectively.

Most Americans would say Yes, I do in both contexts.

As a BrE speaker, I would not necessarily follow suit.

Different senses of have would elicit different answers: either Yes, I do or Yes, I have respectively.

Perhaps I should have said could elicit different answers.

I am sorry for my late reply. I didn't think about it, to be honest. If I asked: ''do you have vegetables for lunch today''? or ''do you always have vegetables for lunch''? Answering both questions as: ''Yes, I do'' would be wrong?

''It is only when it is used as an auxiliary verb or (for some speakers of BrE) with a meaning similar to 'possess' that it does not use auxiliary Have for those forms''.
Could you please provide an example? I am not sure the examples I have in mind are correct: ''I have a car''. ''I haven't a car''. ''Have I a car''?(are these the forms you were talking about? I read in my textbook such forms are not very common. English Grammar Azar)

Do you have a shower before you go to work? (Not an auxiliary or similar to possess- an action)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back