English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello guys

I would like to know if the sentence in the title sounds natural and grammaticaly correct.

I was told to do something else other than watch TV/watching TV/to Warch TV.

Which one of them is correct?

Thanks!

I am a little bit confused now because I've found some examples on the Internet where the gerund is used.

Did the online sources mention why they preferred the gerund? Were they native speakers?

The infinitive watch is far more likely in this particular sentence because of the infinitive form of do. Compare it with the following example:

I was told I should be doing something other than watching TV.

Here, the infinitive form watch is very unlikely.

I am a little bit confused now because I've found some examples on the Internet where the gerund is used.
You can probably find as many wrong answers as right ones on the internet—if not more.

Ask us instead.

Did the online sources mention why they preferred the gerund? Were they native speakers?

The infinitive watch is far more likely in this particular sentence because of the infinitive form of do. Compare it with the following example:

I was told I should be doing something other than watching TV.

Here, the infinitive form watch is very unlikely.

I just found them on through Google Ngrame, but I am not sure if they were native speakers. Actually, I am asking this question because of a question that appears in an English test in Taiwan. I think that bare verb is preferred as you guys have agreed. PS: Please ignore the answer written in the blank. That's obvioulsy wrong.
271650.jpg

What did you find on Google Ngram? Did you type in complete sentences?

What did you find on Google Ngram? Did you type in complete sentences?

I simply searched "do something other than" and this is the picture of some of the results I've found. 未命名1.png

I see you have posted the same thread elsewhere.

Were you not satisfied with our answers?

I see you have posted the same thread elsewhere.

Were you not satisfied with our answers?

I'm not unsatisfied with the answer. I just want to know whether people there have different opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough, but if you ever do that the other way round, please be considerate enough to give us a link to the other forum and tell us why you need more opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back