Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Last edited:
Do I say "emperor" correctly, and would you say I have a in a good British way accent?
I can't listen to your recording on my work computer but please note my changes to your question above.

Why have you recorded a second one when you haven't got anyone's opinion about the first one yet?

(I wonder if you misunderstood my first response. I didn't say your recording didn't work for me. I mean that I'm not allowed to click through to external recordings on this computer - it's not mine!)

I hear "imprah". I can't make out the rest. Slow down, and focus on the initial "e" ... It's like the "e" in "end" or "egg".

You need to enunciate the second "e" more too. We don't cut it out completely. I don't do phonetic transcription, but I would say it should sound like "em-puh-ruh" (in British English). AmE speakers would make an audible final "r".

Have you discovered the delights of Forvo yet? You can put any word you like in and you can then listen to pronunciations from native speakers around the world. Here's the page for "emperor". There are four recordings to listen to - two BrE and two AmE.

Why have you recorded a second one when you haven't got anyone's opinion about the first one yet?

(I wonder if you misunderstood my first response. I didn't say your recording didn't work for me. I mean that I'm not allowed to click through to external recordings on this computer - it's not mine!)
Yes, you are right. I misunderstood you. Sorry,
I hear "imprah". I can't make out the rest. Slow down, and focus on the initial "e" ... It's like the "e" in "end" or "egg".

The word "emperor" is three syllable word where I'm from: EM-purr-or.

Not a teacher

Yes, it is much better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back