Do I need “the” before the name of my university?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkqmail

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi,
Do I need "the" before the name of my university?
1. The Wroclaw University of Technology
2. Wroclaw University of Technology

What is the difference between "the Wroclaw University of Technology" and "Wroclaw University of Technology"?
And, where and when should we put "the" before the name?

Thank you in advance.

P.S.
Wroclaw is the name of city in Poland.

No, I wouldn't put the in this case. When do you put the in front of a university name? When it begins with the word university.

For example: I went to THE University of Washington but my brother attended Cal State.

Thanks for your answer and I have next question.

Do I need "the" before the name of my university in the header?

Header:
Politechnika Wroclawska - name of university in my language
(the Wroclaw University of Technology) - translated name of university in the brackets

I wouldn't use the.

I'm asking for name of university in English language, of course.

(the Wroclaw University of Technology) - translated name of university in the brackets

I know: (Wroclaw University of Technology)

No, I wouldn't put the in this case. When do you put the in front of a university name? When it begins with the word university.

For example: I went to THE University of Washington but my brother attended Cal State.

While it is common to use "the" before the name of a university that begins with the word "University", it is not required unless "The" is part of the university name. One that I know of is "The Ohio State University".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back