Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In Russian it is possible to say "chickens browse" meaning they look for some insects and seeds to eat. Is it the same in English? In dictionaries I find the verb "to browse" only related to animals, but not birds.

In Russian it is possible to say "chickens browse" meaning they look for some insects and seeds to eat. Is it the same in English? In dictionaries I find the verb "to browse" only related to animals, but not birds.
It's not colloquial in English to say that chickens browse. But it sounds reasonable to me that they do. If I wrote it, I'd say, "The chickens were browsing for seeds" to make it clear.
By the way, animals "graze".

Browsing animals eat from trees and hedgerows, grazing animals eat herbaceous plants at ground level.

Browsing animals eat from trees and hedgerows, grazing animals eat herbaceous plants at ground level.
Hmm, then does that imply that chickens don't browse?

Can I say then something like "chickens pick some seeds"?

Chickens peck.

Do they prefer Firefox to Internet Explorer?

Chicken Sandwich browses.:-D
(I'm sorry if I've made the discussion confusing.)

There once was a chicken named Bowser
Whose friends called Bowser the Pecker
But try as he may they never would say,
“Let’s call him Bowser the Browser” :roll:

(You all must understand that it is extremely hot here in the eastern U.S.)
And I think we all owe an apology to Marina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back