do a few lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means to swim several lengths of the pool. In other words, swim from one end of the pool to the other and back again several times.

... from one end of the pool to the other ...
Most dictionaries here have that definition of length.

Bookmark the OneLook site for future reference.

Which dictionaries did you look it up in before posting here?

This is the online Longman Dictionary definition for the word "length". Scroll down to number 11. Did you see that one?

Yes, I saw it. I searched "do lengths". I think that's why I couldn't find its meaning in the dictionary.I also didn't know it is related to the swimming.
Thank you so much.

Didn't the fact that the sentence started "I try to get to the pool once a week" give you a clue?

Unfortunately not :-(. I should have searched "swimming". I've never heard such expression.

When you're looking up a whole phrase, sometimes dictionaries don't help. I just Googled "definition of swimming lengths" (without the quotation marks) and reached this page. Sometimes, Googling "definition of + phrase" is more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back