Diphthong uə

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that there is no such a diphthong in the phonetic alphabet as (uə).
or
The problem is that there isn't no such a diphthong in the phonetic alphabet as (uə).

Could you comment on it?
It's not a diphthong. It's two separate sounds /u/ + /ə/

Take a look at the following:

Last edited:
What makes you think that? We've just seen that it appears in perceptual.

No.

I have given an example from Oxford dictionary. And the phonetic alphabet for it.
And there is no such sound there.

Any other phonetic alphabet has nothing to do with this case.

The chart you linked us to first lists the phonemes of British English. /u/ is not a phoneme, but is a vowel sound.

The chart you linked us to first lists the phonemes of British English. /u/ is not a phoneme, but is a vowel sound.
I can't understand you. A phoneme is the smallest units of speech in a language that make the difference between one word and another.

Just arbitrary sounds has nothing to do with this case.

There are no 'arbitrary sounds' in the word perceptual. The vowel I have underlined has the same quality as the phonem /uː/ but is not so long. This is why people who use the symbol /uː/ for the vowel in food use /u/ for the vowel in perceptual.

1671691721560.png
If I'm not mistaken, these two sounds are distinguished by length:

ʊgood /gʊd/, could /kʊd/
food /fuːd/, group /gruːp/

That is if you need a sound with the same articulation but shorter, it will be /ʊ/, not /u/.

Or are these two sounds distinguished by anything than length? If they are not, then /u/ doesn't exist in this coordinate grid.

I admit that it can exist. At least I can read in textbooks about /i/ and /ɪ/. But I've never read about /u/ and /uː/.

ʊgood /gʊd/, could /kʊd/

That is if you need a sound with the same articulation but shorter, it will be /ʊ/, not /u/.
That is not correct. /uː/ is indeed longer than /ʊ/ but the significant difference is of quality. However long or short you make the vowels, the vowel of good is always different from the vowel of food. That is why we use different phonetic symbols.
Or are these two sounds distinguished by anything than length? If they are not, then /u/ doesn't exist in this coordinate grid.
It does not appear on the phonemic grid, because it has the same quality as /u:/ ; the difference is of length only.
I admit that it can exist. At least I can read in textbooks about /i/ and /ɪ/.
I am surprised. British phoneticians normally use /i:/ and /ɪ/ for the phonemes, reserving /i/ for the shorter sound that we hear, for example, at the end of honey.
But I've never read about /u/ and /uː/.

Few language learners have.

Then why are they always using length in phonetic alphabet and the like? An alphabet is a complete list of phonemes. If the alphabet were only about the quality of sounds, then everybody would know that the length may vary. But no, the alphabet goes with length where it is appropriate. And they announce: we have 44 phonemes.

I definitely make a conclusion that no more phenemes can exist.

Your last post reflects such confused ideas that I don't really know where to begin to set you right. Let's try with one idea:

I definitely make a conclusion that no more phonemes can exist.
Most native speakers of English recognise and produce between 42 and 44 phonemes. This compares with Taa, a language spoken in Botswana that has at least 90 phonemes , and Rotikas, a language spoken on a New Guinea island that may have as few as eleven phonemes.

You say that no more phonemes can exist, but this is simple not true. It is probably unlikely that the number of phonemes in English will change over the next few decades, but we cannot say that it's impossible.

An alphabet is a complete list of phonemes.
Alphabets, along with abjads, abugidas, syllabaries, and others, are just a type of script, used for writing. Glyphs found in an alphabet may or may not correspond with the sounds produced by the mouthflaps of speakers of the language that uses the alphabet for writing. I mean, just look at English orthography; it's horrendous. And don't even think about looking at French orthography; it's appaling.

The International Phonetic Alphabet is an attempt at making a universal human alphabet that could accurately transcribe all the sounds possible to be produced by the human speech apparatus, regardless of the many spelling conventions used by different languages. It's meant to be complete, as in it includes even theoretical sounds that could be produced, yet have yet to be found in a naturally occurring language anywhere in the world. Tom Scott did a really good job of explaining the concept in this video.

Now, the IPA is not just glyphs, that are meant to represent sounds that differ in their quality, but it also features symbols that can inform you how to group the sounds into syllables (.), which syllable is stressed (ˈ), or even which vowel's length is extended (ː). Not all dictionaries and textbooks make use of all the features of the IPA for the sake of simplicity and making it accessible to learners who may not be familiar with them, but I think I've always seen ː used as a mark that denotes that the vowel is meant to be pronounced as a long vowel. This means that the only difference between /u/ and /u:/ is the length; the quality is exactly the same. The difference between /u/ and /ʊ/ is the quality, not the length. Hence, different glyphs are used to represent these two sounds.

ʊgood /gʊd/, could /kʊd/

That is incorrect. /uː/ and /ʊ/ are different in their quality. If you can't tell the difference in quality between /uː/ and /ʊ/, and only notice the difference in length, it's because you're a learner and you haven't trained your ears enough to catch that difference yet. Perhaps you should spend some time practicing minimal pairs, such as fool and full, or pool and pull. Once you can tell the difference between the quality of these sounds, you should be able to tell /u/, /uː/, and /ʊ/ apart.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure if /ʊː/ is a thing in English. Is it, 5jj?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back