Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
1. It is not easy for Tom to lose.
2. It is difficult for Tom to lose.

Are the above sentences correct if the intended meaning is that Tom's feelings are hurt badly when he loses?

Neither of those has anything to do his feelings being hurt. Are you sure you don't mean that he feels upset/angry/annoyed when he loses? Someone's feelings are hurt when someone insults them or is mean to them in some way. It's not a result of losing something.

Perhaps:

It's hard on him when he loses. He thinks he should win every time.

The original sentences don't say that.

I'd suggest that he get acquainted with the real world. Even Bobby Fischer didn't win every time.

Are the above sentences correct if the intended meaning is that Tom's feelings are hurt badly when he loses?
Like the others above, I don't get an emotion-related meaning from those sentences. I think each asserts indirectly that Tom's winning is almost inevitable. Somewhat similar sentences, with a possible emotion-related meaning, include:

Tom doesn't find it easy to lose.
Tom finds it difficult to lose.

Each of those sentences could be followed with a sentence like He always pouts about it afterwards.

Those, to me, suggest that Tom's chances of losing (e.g. in a gambling game) are low.
No. The expression you need is "sore/bad loser".

For example,
Tom is a bad/sore loser.

They sound okay to me. I use variations (depending on the situation) of the second one quite frequently. They're both ways of expressing that Tom has difficulty coping with losing.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back