difference between stake, share, shareholding ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

neiht_nart

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
(Afan) Oromo
Home Country
Aaland
Current Location
Aaland
Difference between stake, share(n), shareholding ??? :?:
Thanks ^_^

Thanks ^_^

If you like to treat the words as separate terms and not related to each other, then you can refer to any dictionary and get their individual meanings. In business however, these are related terms.
Stake denotes ownership in an enterprise. When you say I have a stake in the company, you have invested in the form of shares or bought some shares, which constitute the ownership of company. Share is a single unit of a class of ownership in a company, represented by a stock certificate. It can be a preference shares or equity share. The stock certificates of different companies are sold in the stock market. shareholding is a holding in the form of shares of a company. A person who owns more than 25% value of shares of a company, is called a major stock/share holder. The number of shares varies by company. Suppose the company M/s XYZ has four(4) Billion shares. A major stockholder/share holder needs to own atleast one (1) Billion worth shares

Thanks ^_^
As sarat has explained, it's complicated, so I'll add my view.
In business, a share is a stock. 'Share' is used in AusE, 'stock' is more AmE. So, a stockholder is a shareholder.

'Stake' has a far more broad meaning. It means an interest in something, having a concern in something.
If a business goes bankrupt, it is not only the stockholders/shareholders who lose; it is everybody associated - employers, employees, shareholders, customers, suppliers. So these people have a 'stake' (interest/concern) in the company, and so all are 'stakeholders', but only some are stock/shareholders.

Also, 'stake' is used in a non-business contexts.
For example, if you have a stake in a horse race, you have a bet on a horse, or you own or train one of the horses, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back