Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
United States
Is there any difference in connotation between 'ponder' and 'contemplate'?
It is my impression that ‘ponder’ sounds more like wondering over something that doesn’t have a clear answer to, something difficult to find a solution to, whereas ‘contemplate’ is constructing an actual process step by step carefully to find an answer or a solution to something solvable/feasible ... But I'm not sure ...

For example: Are 'ponder' and 'contemplate' interchangeable in the sentences below?

1. I pondered on what had happened to the woman who stopped coming to the church.
  2. She contemplated on how she can get ahead in the male-dominated corporation.

The two words are near synonyms.

1. I wondered/contemplated what had happened to the woman who stopped coming to the church.
2. She contemplated/pondered how she could get ahead in the male-dominated corporation.

The difference, however, is that pondering suggests appraising different options, while contemplation suggests considering all the aspects of something in your mind -- and wondering suggests open curiosity. All three are transitive verbs, so "on" is wrong. One can contemplate or wonder about something, though.

Last edited:
Your examples are quite persuasive.

As you can see from studying them, "ponder on" is almost indistinguishable from "contemplate".

However, "ponder" is etymologically "appraise" or "weigh". Conceding that style is hugely a matter of choice, I'm still uncomfortable with "ponder on". I would rather say "contemplate" or "consider".

And "contemplate on" is unnatural. You'll find examples, of course. However, I'd firmly recommend using "ponder" and "contemplate" as standard transitive verbs, with a direct object.

Last edited:
abaka, tedmc, thank you very much for your input. In many cases, 'ponder' and 'contemplate' are interchangeable, but there seem to be some cases where they are not.

For example:

1. The bank robber had contemplated how to escape to Mexico and was able to flee without getting caught.
  2. The bank robber had pondered how to escape to Mexico and was able to flee without getting caught.

#2 sounds somewhat strange to me. Does it to you too?

Also, from the previous example:

I contemplated what had happened to the woman who stopped coming to the church.

This sounds strange to me too. Can you contemplate about something that you know you can't find an answer to?

1 and 2 call for the verb consider. They aren't natural as written.

I'd use thought about in the unnumbered third sentence.

1. The bank robber had pondered how to escape to Mexico and was able to flee without getting caught.

#2 sounds somewhat strange to me. Does it to you too?

Also, from the previous example:

I contemplated what had happened to the woman who stopped coming to the church.

This sounds strange to me too. Can you contemplate about something that you know you can't find an answer to?

They both sound strange to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back