Difference between duvet, comforter, quilt, bedspread and Counterpane.

Anonymous32

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Difference between duvet, comforter, quilt, bedspread and Counterpane.

These terms are much confusing to me, which is why I would like a teacher to give me some insight into their differences.

Thanks for helping !

Further to @5jj's excellent suggestion, I would add that there is some cultural variation in these matters. For example, here in North America most people use a bottom sheet over their mattress, a top sheet above that, and then blankets more or less according to the season. A bedspread, if used on top of that, is purely decorative. But in Scandiavia people use only a bottom sheet topped by a duvet, never with blankets or bedspread.

Last edited:
Well, thanks for responding this fast and introducing me to a dictionary that I didn't know. It seems quite complete, indeed. However, the definitions provided overlap way too much and I still don't see any difference...

Did you really make a serious attempt to look the words up? Onelook.com is not a dictionary, but a collection of dictionaries.

, the definitions provided overlap way too much and I still don't see any difference...

The first two or three I checked on pointed out that some of these words are merely different names for the same thing. Did you not notice that?

What is the difference between a duvet, comforter, quilt, bedspread and counterpane?

These terms are much very confusing to me, which is why I would like a teacher native speaker to give me some insight into their differences.

Thanks for helping!
Note my corrections above. Always write complete sentences. Don't leave a space before a question mark or exclamation mark. Don't thank us in advance.

Well, thanks for responding this fast and introducing me to a dictionary that I didn't know. It seems quite complete, indeed. However, the definitions provided overlap way too much and I still don't see any difference.
Note my corrections above.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back