Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
What is the difference between the usage of as and being in these sentences? Do they have same meaning?

As a child I often spent my time in reading books.
Being a child I often spent my time in reading books.

The second is wrong. Being a child could only refer to someone who still is a child.

It's possible that the underlined phrases below could all be interpreted to mean Because I was.

As I was a child, I loved to spend time playing with friends.
Since I was a child, I loved to spend time playing with friends.
Being a child, I loved to spend time playing with friends.

What is the difference between [STRIKE]the usage of[/STRIKE] "as" and "being" in these sentences? Do they have the same meaning?

As a child, I often spent my time [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] reading books.
Being a child, I often spent my time [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] reading books.
See above. Always mark words and text you're writing about by surrounding it in quotation marks or setting it in italics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it also apt to use "as" if one is still a child?

Please also explain that why "the usage of" and "spent my time in" are not correct?

'The usage of' is fine in my opinion. With 'spent my time in' the 'in' is unnecessary and unnatural.

I struck out the usage of​ because I felt it didn't add anything to the sentence. It's not grammatically or logically wrong.

What is the difference between the usage of as and being in these sentences? Do they have same meaning?

As a child, I often spent my time in reading books.
Being a child, I often spent my time in reading books.

Time spent reading books isn't automatically associated as a particularly child-like activity, although of course children certainly do read books. There's a bit of a disconnect in the logic of the association between childhood and reading.

jutfrank said:
Being a child, I loved to spend time playing with friends.

However, with jutfrank's example, playing with friends is something that does automatically sound child-like, even though adults can of course also play with friends. There's a strong logical connection in the association between childhood and playing with friends because we expect children to play with friends.

Please also explain that why "the usage of" and "spent my time in" are not correct?

Actually, I think the usage of is in fact grammatically incorrect after between. You could say either:

What is the difference in the usage of
as and being in these sentences?

What is the difference between the uses of
as and being in these sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back