Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Dear all,

Please explain to me the difference between Sounds a, ɑ, ʌ, ɐ. I am a little bit confused reading through IPA. Thank you. What should be you advise in dealing with this?

Last edited:
Hello

I'm not a teacher but just a student but I'll share with you what I know about these letters. but before explaining I will assure to what Raymott Have said you need to hear them first using audio.
However this is my explanation
a, there is two kind of a
/ɑː/ --> it's a long vowel , like "FAR" we Pronounce it Faaaaaar
/æ/ ---> it's a short vowel with an open mouth , like "CAT" , that we pronounce it Cat
/ʌ/ ---> it's wery short vowel ( we close the mouth ) like "BUS"
see the difference ?

ɑ, it's a long vowel too , it's like Dog
ɐ it's a short vowel & you find it a lot , like "Away" the letter A we don't pronounce it like FAR or Cat or BUS we we almost kill its sound and make it like " e " but it's not e of course :oops:

hope you understand what I've write & not to be more confused LOL

Good luck !
Regards !

Last edited:
Karima04, please don't use textspeak/chatlish on this forum. "u" does not exist. The word is "you" and must be written in full at all times.

Karima04, please don't use textspeak/chatlish on this forum. "u" does not exist. The word is "you" and must be written in full at all times.
Sorry ! I corrected them .
I'm trying to not use Chatlish on this forum. But I used to write on such way :oops:. I'll pay more attention in the future.

Thank you. Also, please remember that we do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back