Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
What is the difference between 'It is down the aisle 10' and ' It is up the aisle 10'? These sentences are used when explaining location of product in supermarkets. Somebody help me to understand them please:)

There is no difference in this use. I can say "go down the aisle" or "go up the aisle."

I think it's more likely someone would say something was in aisle 12.

Welcome to the board.

Thank you:-D. I suspected that there was no difference, just needed to be sure. I usually hear 'on the aisle 16', not 'in the aisle 16'. Is it possible that one of these form is better or more proper? I would like to add that I live in the south east area of England.

There are differences in prepositions used between American and British Englishes in many cases. This may be one of those cases. I would certainly expect to hear "in."

I thought this was going to be a wedding question.

Entering the church a bride is said to walk down the aisle.

But that's the answer to a question nobody asked.

Rover

Last edited:
I would use "in" as well, in this context. I would also like to add that I would exclude the article from your sentence.

"It's in aisle 7", not "It's in the aisle 7".

I would only expect someone to use "up/down" if they were telling you which way to walk to get there:

"Go down aisle 15 to the middle, then turn right then go down aisle 7 and the cakes are at the far end near the biscuits."

Whether you use up or down would depend on where you were standing in the supermarket when having the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back