Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello again,

This thread is a continuation of today's thread "a text about a Diesel engine".

I would like to ask you whether I got the following sentence right.

The engine has been tested using a non-thermally stable, single rating cycle and accepted against statistically determined limits.

The way I understand is like this:

The engine has been tested using a non-thermally stable, single rating cycle and its performance was approved according to statistically determined limits.

Do you think I am right?

Last edited:
Re: Diesel engine 2

Why did you capitalise "diesel"?

I have corrected it.

Last edited:
Re: Diesel engine 2

I have corrected It.

Why have you capitalised "it"?

(And you haven't corrected "diesel" anywhere in post #1.)

The text was written in AE.

What difference does that make? And, again, why did you capitalise "it" in post #3?

I have only managed to correct my headings of the thread which contains my text.

Last edited:
Hello again,

This thread is a continuation of today's thread "a text about a diesel engine".

I would like to ask you whether I got the following sentence right.

The engine has been tested using a non-thermally stable, single rating cycle and accepted against statistically determined limits.

The way I understand is like this:

The engine has been tested using a non-thermally stable, single rating cycle and its performance was approved according to statistically determined limits.

Do you think I am right?

It looks good to me. (Of course, I don't know what you're talking about. ;-) )

Tarheel

Could you tell me what you are taking about:
my understanding of the sentence or appearance of the headings?

Tarheel means that he thinks your understanding of it is correct, even though he doesn't understand the meaning of it at all.

Could someone help me with my question?
It is really important to me.
If you claim that Tarheel does not understand the meaning of the sentence, then you must know what it is all about.

Last edited:
It's highly technical. Also, just because Ems says I don't understand it that doesn't mean she does. (Maybe she does. I don't know.)

Nope. I rarely understand the technical jargon in Jacek's posts. That's why I rarely answer them.

Who else can help me out?

You rephrased it correctly.

And it's good that you corrected those capitals. Only use them for proper nouns, the first letter of sentences, and the word I.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back