Did you take the paper-and-pen test or the computer?

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There are two ways of taking the IELTS test here: go to the classroom where the test takes place and use a pencil and eraser. The other is go to the place where there are many computer and log in and take the test by using a computer.

I asked my friend who recently took the test "Did you take the paper-and-pen test or the computer?"

Is it natural?

I'd say: Did you take the test physically or online?

many computer
Hmm.
I asked my friend who recently took the test "Did you take the paper-and-pen test or the computer?"
Is it natural?
No. In fact, a native speaker might even reply with a friendly joke "I ran off with the computer". Do you see the flaw in your question?
Say, for example, "Did you take the written or the computer-based test?"
or online?
That may be incorrect. It suggests use of the internet.

Again, I’m so grateful for your help, teachers. It should have been “computers”.

Thanks a lot for reading my posts and questions carefully.

As for the original question, I think the “test” in “the computer test” is understood in the question. I agree with you that “online” is not good because one needs to use a computer to answer those questions.

That may be incorrect. It suggests use of the internet.
Tests using the computer are usually done through the internet.I believe this applies to IELTS.
Not all tests are written tests. There are tests using multiple-choice questions.

Last edited:
Tests using the computer are usually done through the internet.I believe this applies to IELTS.
It can be taken online. The IELTS website suggests that they have plenty of ways of detecting/preventing cheating.
Not all tests are written tests. There are tests using multiple-choice questions.
I call anything that's not an oral (spoken) test/exam "written". It doesn't matter if it's on paper, on a computer that's not connected to the net, or on the net.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back