Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Today morning, when I woke up, I saw a pool of water by the window, and rainwater kept sneaking into the window. I used many towels to absorb the water and used plastic tape to seal the gap. What's worse, other rooms had the same situation. I needed to find someone to fix that tomorrow.

Today morning,
Never say that. It's just wrong. Say "This morning".
I saw a pool of water by the window, and rainwater kept sneaking into in through the window. I used many towels to absorb the water and used plastic tape to seal the gap. What's worse, other rooms had the same situation. I need ed to find someone to fix that tomorrow.

How about "leaking/seeping" instead of "sneaking"?
"Today morning" is a direct translation from Chinese, which I have come across.

Last edited:
I didn't say it is correct.
That's true but I wasn't really sure what your point was. Pointing out that it's a direct translation doesn't really help move the conversation forward.

I didn't say it is correct.
But you also never spotted it initially, nor did you acknowledge that it is incorrect after I pointed that out. I agree with emsr2d2's comment. I can't see how pointing out that it's a direct translation from Chinese and that you had come across it would be of any help to Maybo, except to lead him/her to believe that it is correct!

But you also never spotted it initially, nor did you acknowledge that it is incorrect after I pointed that out. I agree with emsr2d2's comment. I can't see how pointing out that it's a direct translation from Chinese and that you had come across it would be of any help to Maybo, except to lead him/her to believe that it is correct!
I did spot it before your post. My comment was probably wasn't being constructive after the correction was made, but that's how the phrase came about.

I did spot it before your post.
Then why didn't you amend your original post, or add a new post, to indicate that? What were you waiting for?!
My comment was probably wasn't being constructive after the correction was made, but that's how the phrase came about.
That is ungrammatical, and I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Then why didn't you amend your original post, or add a new post, to indicate that? What were you waiting for?!

That is ungrammatical, and I have no idea what you're trying to say.
was probably not being constructive.

There's no probably about it! It wasn't, which leads me to reiterate: please hold off on providing replies when you're not 100% sure that what you're saying is correct.

There's no probably about it! It wasn't, which leads me to reiterate: please hold off on providing replies when you're not 100% sure that what you're saying is correct.
I think your comment is overly harsh. Are you 100% correct all the time?

The thing is, @tedmc, our learners may assume that any post is perfectly correct, so we govern ourselves accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back