Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

One of my friend Jessica told me that she quit her job today because her workload became very heavy lately. One of her teammates quit two weeks ago but her boss doesn't want to hire a new colleague. Therefore, she has to share the workload. She already has to work overtime every day so it's impossible for her to work more.

One of my friend [ 1] Jessica told me that she quit her job today because her workload became very heavy lately. One of her teammates quit two weeks ago but her boss doesn't want to hire [ 2] a new colleague. Therefore, she has [ 3] to share the workload. She already has [ 4] to work overtime every day so it's [ 4] impossible for her to work [ 5] more.
[ 1]: "One of" has to be followed by a set of items or a plural noun. Also, pay attention to the punctuation there.
[ 2]: A person becomes a colleague after they get hired. You can say "a new worker", or "new/extra staff".
[ 3]: You have a choice of two tenses here, but the one you used is wrong.
[ 4]: Wrong tense.
[ 5]: You can add an intensifier here. Do you know which?
----------------
Revise and post below.

One of my friends, Jessica told me that she quit her job today because her workload became very heavy lately. One of her teammates quit two weeks ago but her boss doesn't want to hire a new worker. Therefore, she had to share the workload. She already had to work overtime every day so it was impossible for her to work much more.

One of my friends, Jessica, [ 1] told me that she quit her job today because her workload became very heavy lately. One of her teammates quit two weeks ago but her boss doesn't want to hire a new worker. Therefore, she [ 2] had to share the workload. She already had to work overtime every day so it was impossible for her to work much even more.
[ 1]: That, or you can say "My friend Jessica told me ..."
[ 2]: That, or you can use the present perfect "she's had to share the workload".

[ 1]: That, or you can say "My friend Jessica told me ..."
[ 2]: That, or you can use the present perfect "she's had to share the workload".
If I use the present perfect for "she's had to share the workload", should I use the present tense or the present perfect tense for "she already had to work overtime every day"?

If I use the present perfect for "she's had to share the workload",
That's possible, because her leaving her job took place "today".
should I use the present tense or the present perfect tense for "she already had to work overtime every day"?
No. You can stick with the past simple or use the past perfect. The "having to work overtime every day" is over.

I would say her workload has become very heavy lately.

Who is she sharing the workload with? (It seems to me that the problem is that she's doing it all herself.)

I would say her workload has become very heavy lately.

Who is she sharing the workload with? (It seems to me that the problem is that she's doing it all herself.)
She had a team of five people. Now, it’s 4.

She had a team of five people. Now, it’s FOUR.
Thank you. I must have missed that. So everybody on the team has an increased workload, right?

Jessica is complaining that she has more work than before. However, she's not the only one. Everybody on the team has an increased workload.

Last edited:
Thank you. I must have missed that. So everybody on the team has an increased workload, right?

Jessica is complaining that she has more work than before. However, she's not the only one. Everybody on the team has an increased workload.
Yes. She doesn't want to share that extra workload.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back