Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My brother told me that there are only two-hours daytime in the winter in Finland. The sun rises at about 9am and sets at about 11am. If I were there, I must be very sleepy. He said he takes some vitamin D supplements so that he’s more energetic. I imagine I go to work at 8pm and get off work at 5pm, which means I can’t see the sun almost everyday. :eek:

This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

My brother told me that there are only two hours of daytime in the winter in Finland. The sun rises at about 9am and sets at about 11am. If I were there, I would be very sleepy. He said he takes some vitamin D supplements so that he’s more energetic. I imagine going to work at 8pm and getting off at 5pm, which means I wouldn't see the sun at all. :eek:
What you mean is there are only two hours of daylight per day.

I don't think you mean you would be sleepy. I think you mean you would be lethargic. Or depressed.

"Getting off work" is not wrong, but it's more natural the way I rephrased it.

Remind me to never visit Finland in the winter. 😊

There aren't just two hours of "daytime". There are two hours of light (during the depths of winter).

@teechar But she does imagine doing that. She imagines going to work when it's dark and getting off when it's dark.

@Tarheel: only the OP knows which version was intended. Either one is possible.

How about I imagine I would go to work...?

It could also be expressed as an imperative, to express surprise:

Imagine going to work at 8am and finishing work at 5pm and not seeing daylight all day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back