Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

Last night, I watched an exciting table tennis competition in the Olympic Games. There were at least three match points in one of the matches. Every time the players won or lost a mark during the match points gave me almost a heart attack. It doesn't seem good to watch competitive sports before I sleep because it makes me hard to sleep well.

Say:

it almost gave me a heart attack

And:

it makes it hard for me to sleep

Or:

it makes it hard to sleep

Last edited:
Every time the players won or lost at mark during the match point, s gave me I almost got a heart attack. It doesn't seem good to watch high-stakes competitive sports before I sleep bedtime, because it makes it me hard for me to fall asleep. well.

I get keyed up.
I get emotionally involved.
I feel like I'm in the match.

I agree that "before I go to bed" or "before bedtime" would both be better than the original.

I suppose you could argue that the stakes (medals?) make a difference to the excitement level, but that's not necessarily true. Sometimes you just get caught up in the moment.

Last night, I watched an some exciting Olympic table tennis. competition in the Olympic Games.
There were at least three match points in one of the matches. Every time the players won or lost a mark during the match points point, I gave me almost had a heart attack.
It doesn't seem good like it's a good idea for me to watch competitive sports just/shortly before I go to sleep bed because it makes me it hard for me to get to sleep. well.
I'm still having trouble with your use of "competition". The Olympics table tennis competition is spread across several days - it covers the first match to the final.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back