Diary - I've just bought my breakfast and gone back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I've just bought my breakfast and gone back home. On the way home, I got bit by a bug. It hurt a lot. The bit skin puffed up a little bit. I was worried that the bug was poisonous. Fortunately, the skin was back to normal after an hour. I don't want to die because of a bug.

I'm guessing that you went out for breakfast, but you didn't eat it there. Instead, you brought it home with you. Perhaps:

I went out for breakfast, and I just now brought it home.

I'm glad you didn't die.
😊

(ESL learners tend to use perfect tenses quite a bit for some reason.)

Is it better to use perfect tenses when I emphases sequence, otherwise, I can use the simple past to talked about the past?

If you say "I went out for breakfast", it means you ate it outside your home. I prefer your original but I'd reword it to "I just went out to buy my breakfast and bring it home to eat".

You need "On the way home, I was/got bitten by a bug".

Is it better to use perfect tenses when I emphasize sequence? Otherwise, can I use the simple past to talk about the past?
Well, when you tell a story you usually start at the beginning, but that isn't always the case.

Coincidentally, somebody recently told me I'm a good storyteller. With that particular story I didn't start at the beginning. In fact, I started near the end. Also, I used phrases like "It all started when ...." (Did I think about the tenses I was using? Probably not.)

I was on my way home after buying breakfast when I got bitten by a bug/insect.

bit skin - the area of the skin around the bite/sting

the swelling subsided

Last edited:
Well, when you tell a story you usually start at the beginning, but that isn't always the case.

Coincidentally, somebody recently told me I'm a good storyteller. With that particular story I didn't start at the beginning. In fact, I started near the end. Also, I used phrases like "It all started when ...." (Did I think about the tenses I was using? Probably not.)
I mean something like "She had left by the time I arrived", which emphasizes sequence.

I mean something like "She had left by the time I arrived", which emphasizes sequence.
I'm fine with that one. @Maybo, just between you and me I think some teachers focus on the fine points of grammar too much. I read some of that stuff sometimes, and I say to myself, "I would never say that." I don't know where they get some of that stuff.

just between you and me I think some teachers focus on the fine points of grammar too much.
That's a strange thing to say in a forum in which members frequently seek answers to questions about grammar.
I read some of that stuff sometimes, and I say to myself, "I would never say that."
We generally suggest only forms that are reasonably common.
I don't know where they get some of that stuff.
I get it from 70+ years of speaking English, 60+ years of studying it in one way or another, and 50+ years of teaching and writing about it. Several of the other senior members have similar experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back