Diary - I'm reading a cookbook featuring fruits.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I'm reading a cookbook featuring fruits. One of the recipes is very interesting - leek, cheese and granny smith apple risotto. I never thought that leek, cheese and granny smith apple would go well with rice. I tried to cook it yesterday, but I couldn't find any granny smith apple. I'm going to try out with red to see if it works.

This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I'm reading a cookbook featuring fruits. One of the recipes is very interesting - leekS, cheese and granny smith apple risotto. I HAD never thought that leekS, cheese and granny smith appleS would go well with rice. I WANTED to cook it yesterday, but I couldn't find any granny smith appleS. I'm going to try DOING IT with red APPLES to see if THAT works.
You didn't really try to cook it. You didn't get that far. You weren't able to get all the ingredients together.

There must be something about Granny Smith apples that is the reason somebody chose them for this recipe. (I don't know what that "something" is.)

In BrE, "leek" is fine in a recipe or the title of a dish. In the book, I'd expect it to be written as "Leek, Cheese and Granny Smith Apple Risotto". The plural would be used in the list of ingredients if it requires more than one leek.
Note that "Granny Smith" must always be capitalised. It's the official name of the variety.

I'm sure it's the same in American English. The words 'leek' and 'apple' have to be singular in the name of the recipe because they're uncountable.

Back