Diary - I just watched a video about human and AI.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I just watched a video about human and AI. In the video, the speaker discussed the future of AI development and the possibility of it replacing humans. The discussion made me think of movies that many people want to live a forever life as an AI while an AI wants to think as a human. For me, of course, I also want to live forever but I don't want to be an AI because I need free will.

I wouldn't use "humans"there, but it's not wrong.

Rather than saying I need free will I'd say I want to make my own decisions.

The video compares people and AI, right?

I think the technology is called Artificial Intelligence (AI) while the human look-alikes are called robots or humanoids.

The video compares people and AI, right?
Yes. The speaker said he asked AI about a particular country’s population and AI gave a wrong answer. Then he asked again and AI admitted that it was wrong and gave the right answer. That said, AI knew the answer but we don’t know why it gave the wrong answer. The speaker suspected whether AI had just made a mistake or started to tell lies.

Yes. The speaker said he asked AI about a particular country’s population and AI gave a wrong answer. Then he asked again and AI admitted that it was wrong and gave the right answer. That said, AI knew the answer but we don’t know why it gave the wrong answer. The speaker suspected whether AI had just made a mistake or TOLD A LIE.
I don't think computers or computer programs are capable of lying. (If they start doing that we're in a world of trouble.) I think they should find out why that happened.

I would say:

AI admitted that it got it wrong and then it gave the right answer.

Or:

AI admitted that it had given the wrong answer and then it gave the right answer.

HI, Maybo!

Here are my suggestions:
I've just watched a video about humanity and AI. In the video, the speaker discussed the future of AI development and the possibility of it replacing humans, which. The discussion made me think of movies where many people want to live a forever life as an AI, while an AI wants to think of itself as a human. For me, of course, I would also want to live forever, of course, but I don't want to be not as an AI because I need that would take away my free will.
Naming a few movies that watching the video made you think of could help the reader picture what you're talking about.

You could also expand on the idea that becoming an AI would take away your free will, to strengthen your point.

I don't think computers or computer programs are capable of lying. (If they start doing that we're in a world of trouble.) I think they should find out why that happened.
AI can sometimes give incorrect answers in such a confident, convincing, and credible manner that you're inclined to believe it. It's not intentional, but lying nonetheless.

If you challenge the AI, it will admit its mistake, and try to try correct it, almost always successfuly the first time you ask it to do that.

Last edited:
@Glizdka I have to disagree. If you say something that is untrue believing it is true that's a mistake -- not a lie. If you say something that is untrue with the intention of deceiving one or more people that's a lie.

AI is getting quite a reputation. Unfortunately that reputation has to do with its inaccurate answers to questions. Some of the answers are pretty darn funny.
😄

Last edited:

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back