Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I have a few geckos in my home and they usually stay at the living room. I don’t know why they have come into my room and have been making noises all night long for these few days. Just a moment ago, one of them made noises again. I was annoyed so I googled the reasons. Some said they are trying to find other geckos. I didn’t know what to do so I played gecko sounds from YouTube. They are quiet now. Maybe this finally comforted them. :rolleyes:

Say: "they usually stay IN the living room."

That one is funny -- especially the ending.

I don't know much about geckos. However, I'm sure they don't annoy you on purpose.

I think they eat insects.

I have a few geckos in my home and they usually stay at the living room. I don’t know why they have now come into my bedroom and or why they have been making noises all night long for these the last few days nights. Just a moment ago, one of them made noises a noise again. I was annoyed so I googled the reasons to see if I could work out why they're doing it. Some sites said say they are trying to find other geckos. I didn’t know what to do so I played some gecko sounds from YouTube. They are quiet now. Maybe this those sounds finally comforted them. :rolleyes:
Note my changes above. I think your English is at a level now where you could make more use of contractions. I've underlined the places in your piece where a contraction would be more natural.

When I say “for the past few days”, does it include the day when I write the sentence?

For example, for the past few days, I’ve eaten a lot.

Can I also say “Maybe those sounds have finally comforted them”?

When I say “for the past few days”, does it include the day when I write the sentence?

For example, for the past few days, I’ve eaten a lot.
Yes, it includes the day you wrote the sentence.

Can I also say “Maybe those sounds have finally comforted them”?
If you want to change the original sentence say: "Maybe that comforted them."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back