Diary entry - It's been raining these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

It's been raining these days. A friend of mine said if it continued to rain she might stress to death. I knew she was just kidding. I love raining because it relieves the hot weather and my headaches. I've already started counting down Christmas as if winter is coming around. I even play Christmas songs sometimes. My friend asked me to go to swimming. I didn't want to because the pool water is very dirty and it is usually changed seasonally. I've read a piece of news about the change of pool water. It stated that even if excrement is found, it is probably removed without replacing new water. Ew!

Last edited:
Try:

It's been raining a lot lately.

And:

I love the rain because it cools things down, and my headaches go away.

And:

I've already started counting down to Christmas....

And:

My friend asked me to go swimming with him/her.

And:

is usually changed only seasonally

And:

I read an item about the change of pool water.

I don't understand what you mean by "without replacing new water".

I don't understand what you mean by "without replacing new water".
They should pour the dirty water away and add clean water into the pool.

They should change the water in the pool every so often.

Then you mean:

without changing the water

I am fairly sure that the pools in Hong Kong are as modern as any, and the cleaning is more or less automatic.

This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

It's been raining for days. A friend of mine said if it keeps raining she might stress to death. I knew she was just kidding. I love rain because it relieves the hot weather and my headaches. I've already started counting down to Christmas as if winter were coming around. I even play Christmas songs sometimes. My friend asked me to go to swimming. I didn't want to because the pool water is very dirty and only changed seasonally. I've read a piece of news about the [STRIKE]change of[/STRIKE] pool water. It stated that even if excrement is found, it is probably removed without replacing the water. Ew!
Your "stress to death" isn't ordinary usage, but it's interesting wording and might fit.

Does she find rain stressful or just depressing?

They should drain the dirty water [STRIKE]away[/STRIKE] and put clean water into the pool.
Or: . . . and fill the pool with clean water.

Your "stress to death" isn't ordinary usage, but it's interesting wording and might fit.

Does she find rain stressful or just depressing?

I think she finds rain depressing.

Can I say "she might be depressed to death"?

No.
Perhaps:
She was utterly depressed.
She was so depressed that she had suicidal thoughts.
She was so depressed that she wished she rather died.

Last edited:
She was so depressed that she wished she rather died. :cross:

She was so depressed that she wished she was dead.
She was so depressed that she would rather be dead.
She was so depressed that she would rather die.

I know where you are coming from. "To be something to death (到死)" is a common collocation in Chinese but doesn't work in English. "Depressed to tears" would be okay I think.

Last edited:
"Depressed to tears" would be okay, I think.

That's certainly not used in BrE. The only use of "adj + to tears" that's commonly used here is "bored to tears".

That's certainly not used in BrE. The only use of "adj + to tears" that's commonly used here is "bored to tears".

I did get the idea from "bored to tears". If "to tears" (which I used to replace OP's "to death") can be used with "bored", can't it be used with "depressed"? Is there any rule to say that it is wrong? Can we only use collocations that has been used before?

I did get the idea from "bored to tears". If "to tears" (which I used to replace OP's "to death") can be used with "bored", can't it be used with "depressed"?
No.
Is there any rule to say that it is wrong? Can we only use collocations that has been used before?
Shall we make sure that Maybo is happy with the responses he has received before we discuss your needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back