Diary entry - I remember once I lived at my grandparents' home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

I remember once I lived at my grandparents' home and I saw a small hole on a wall filled with tissue. I asked my mother what it is. She told me since our kitchen was outside the apartment, my uncle was worried that our neighbours would use our gas to cook, so the hole was used to monitor our kitchen. To be honest, I was a bit shocked when I knew my uncle made a hole on a wall for that reason. I didn't dare to pull the tissue out of the hole because it looked a bit creepy.

Say:

I remember once when I lived at my grandparents' house and I saw a small hole in a wall that was filled with tissue. I asked my mother about it. She told me that since our kitchen was outside the apartment, my uncle was worried that our neighbours would use our gas to cook, and the hole was used to monitor our kitchen

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps:

I was a bit shocked when I learned that my uncle had put a hole in the wall for that reason. I didn't dare to pull the tissue out of the hole. (I wanted to though.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine what your grandparents' place was like with "a kitchen outside an apartment" and it is so open that the neighbours could have access to it and make use of the gas.
Didn't the apartment have windows where one could look out through, rather than having to peep through a hole in the wall?

Last edited:
I can't imagine what your grandparents' place was like with "a kitchen outside an apartment" and it is so open that the neighbours could have access to it and make use of the gas.
Didn't the apartment have windows where one could look out through, rather than having to peep through a hole in the wall?

It's not a modern apartment. It's very old. Some walls in it are made of wood and they are very thin.

Last edited:
It's not a modern apartment. It's very old. Some walls in it are made of wood and they are very thin.

I am not sure if you can call that an apartment. How many residential units were there in the building and how many storeys?

I am not sure if you can call that an apartment. How many residential units were there in the building and how many storeys?
Three storeys. Each floor has two residential units.

Three storeys. Each floor has two residential units.

Didn't each unit have its own kitchen or was it a communal kitchen?

All kitchens are outside the apartments. We have our own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back