Diary - A friend of my friend is planning to get married next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
This is an entry from my diary. Please check it and correct any mistakes.

A friend of my friend is planning to get married next year. She's already found her bridesmaids, but she told me one of them is filing for divorce and worried that it might bring bad luck to her marriage. I told her that many people had planned the best for their wedding but they still got divorced so I thought your marriage was more related to your own destiny.

I told her that many people had planned the best for their wedding but they still got divorced so I thought your marriage was more related to your own has more to do with one's destiny.

Say:

She's already chosen her bridesmaids, but one of them is filing for divorce, and she's worried it might bring bad luck to her marriage.

She's already found her bridesmaids, but she told me one of them is filing for divorce and worried that it might bring bad luck to her marriage.

Am I using the correct tenses for the above?

She's already found her bridesmaids, but she told me one of them is filing for divorce, and she's worried that it might bring bad luck to her marriage.

Am I using the correct tenses for the above?
Yes.

Apparently, they do things differently in China. Here people choose bridesmaids from people they already know. (Usually close friends.)

Apparently, they do things differently in China. Here people choose bridesmaids from people they already know. (Usually close friends.)
What makes you think the people involved aren't friends of the bride?

What makes you think the people involved aren't friends of the bride?
"She's already found her bridesmaids ...."

If she already knows them there's no finding involved. Instead, she asks people knows if they want to be in the wedding party. (I don't know that from personal experience because I've never been either a bride or a bridesmaid.)

The bride usually has to consider all her friends and then decide between them. In that regard, once the choosing is done, she's "found" them.

Is there any other comment on the "destiny" part?

I don't think marriage has anything to do with destiny. Some people might argue that the success or failure of one's marriage might have something to do with destiny (but failure, usually, is down to the actions of one party - or both).

A friend of my friend is planning to get married next year.
You presumably know their names, so why not use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back