Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
But what can happen when we feel in the spotlight, or when we need to deliver, is that the confident, comfortable and engaging person our friends recognize can drain away to leave a drier, less effective version of ourselves. We might disappear into a rabbit hole of detail.

What is the meaning of "detail"?

Author:Edie Lush
Book: How to: Speak with Confidence in Public

Focusing on small parts rather than the whole of a project.

Focusing on small parts rather than the whole of a project.
We might disappear into a rabbit hole of detail=Focusing on small parts rather than the whole of a project.?

We might disappear into a rabbit hole of detail=Focusing on small parts rather than the whole of a project.?

Yes; to such an extent that you lose sight of your original purpose.

Don't put a period ("full stop" in British English) before a question mark.

The audience might appreciate the details.

Indeed, but I think if a speaker goes too deep into detail, they may not have enough time to cover everything in their speech.

I suppose so. I have seen like three fourths of the movie but never finished it. :cry:

Last edited:
Right. It would normally be three quarters in AE too. For some reason, I chose to write three fourths. I don't know why. :cool:

I find three fourths equally as natural as three quarters.

Andrew, if you've never read Alice in Wonderland, you should correct the oversight ASAP.

Neglecting to read a classic. :)

Haha, classic all right but the book as well as the movie is not very interesting (in my opinion of course). I tried to watch it with my kids a couple times but I could never will myself to finish it. In contrast, I wouldn't mind watching The Little Mermaid, Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty to name a few.

I'd recommend forgetting the film versions of most classics in the first instance. I always recommend that people read the book first, then track down a film version if they want to.
There are almost no decent film versions of most of my favourite books.

One classic that I could read and watch over and over is "To Kill a Mockingbird". One of the rare instances where movie and book compliment and accurately reflect each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
the movie is not very interesting (in my opinion of course).

I watched them. I enjoyed the first, though it does get sillier when they ran out of books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back