Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could you please tell me what does it mean "how did he get despose of you"?Does it have the same meaning as "how did he get rid of you"? If yes, then can it be used in any context? Like if we are talking about non living things as well?

Could you please tell me what does it mean "how did he get despose of you"?Does it have the same meaning as "how did he get rid of you"? If yes, then can it be used in any context? Like if we are talking about non living things as well?

I'm guessing you saw this online somewhere. The writer was looking for the word disposed, which means "got rid of" but can't be applied to a living person.

I heard it in the movie "underdog".

The sentence "how did he get dispose of you?" doesn't make sense.

If yes, then can it be used in any context?

No, it can't. You can dispose of rubbish and a dead body, but in most contexts, it would sound odd to dispose of a living person.

I bet the writer changed their mind midway through composing the sentence, something which happens quite often. They started to write How did he get rid of you?, decided to use "dispose" instead of "get rid of", and forgot to delete "get". I doubt a native Anglophone would write How did he dispose of you, so this was probably written by someone for whom English was a second language.

Okay, so the sentence is "how did he dispose of you" but some of you are saying this doesn't make sense. Some are saying it can be used but for non living things only.

Would it be a correct sentence "I disposed of the garbage"?

Okay, so the sentence is "How did he dispose of you?" but some of you are saying this doesn't make sense. Some are saying it can be used but for non-living things only.

Would it be a correct sentence "I disposed of the garbage"?

"I disposed of the garbage" is OK. "I disposed of the dead body" is also OK (grammatically, not legally!)

The problem with "How did he dispose of you?" is that it suggests that the question is directed at a non-living thing or at a dead body, neither of which are able to respond.

I'm an avid watcher of the US series NCIS, in which the Medical Examiner carries out autopsies on the murder victims in the show. He frequently "chats" to the corpse before starting the autopsy, saying things like "So, what happened to you?" or "Let's see if we can find out who cut your life short so brutally". I can imagine him saying "So how did he dispose of you?" as a rhetorical question, suggesting that he is going to try to find out how the person died or how the body was disposed of.

The famous American gangster, Hugh Doidy-Ratte, used to tell his henchmen to 'take care' of dead bodies. He meant 'dispose of them' — not 'look after them'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back