Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I want to describe sunrise. What adjective can I use for the sun rays?

Is this okay? How can I make it better?

On the west, the calm waters were shimmering in the cold moonlight. To the east, the emerging sun rays had colored sky a pale purple.

I know there must be better words than emerging.

Hello.

I want to describe sunrise. What adjective can I use for the sun's rays?

Is this okay? How can I make it better?

[STRIKE]On[/STRIKE] In/To the west, the calm waters [STRIKE]were shimmering[/STRIKE] shimmered in the cold moonlight. To the east, the [STRIKE]emerging[/STRIKE] rising sun [STRIKE]rays[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] colored the sky a pale purple.

I know there must be better words than emerging.

See above. I wouldn't use "rays" at all there.

Mainly the fact that we don't use it very often. We use "sunbeams". I think part of the problem is the word order. We don't use "sun rays". It's better as "sun's rays" but even then, I would expect "the rays of/from the rising sun" or similar.

Mainly the fact that we don't use it very often. We use "sunbeams". I think part of the problem is the word order. We don't use "sun rays". It's better as "sun's rays" but even then, I would expect "the rays of/from the rising sun" or similar.

Is this okay?

In the west, the calm waters shimmered in the cold moonlight. To the east, the rays of the rising sun colored the sky a pale purple.

What about this?

In the west, the calm waters shimmered in the cold moonlight. To the east, the sunbeams colored the sky a pale purple.

The first is much better. I should have pointed out that we usually use "sunbeams" to refer to the beams of light that come down from the overhead sun, towards the ground, rather than up from the rising sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back