Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to describe a person's shadow.

Is this good?

In the corridor, he saw a petite shadow with long hair straggling down her shoulder. He tried to imagine the real person. An elfin face, honey blonde hair perhaps. Slim figure and small feet.

Well, shadows can have length and breadth but not size. How did he know it was a smallish woman and not a child?

Also, shadows don't have gender, so you can't say that a shadow has long hair flowing down her shoulder. In any case, the shadow could be that of a small man with long hair!

And I doubt he'd get elfin face or blonde hair from a shadow. That seems like too much wishful thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
What if he knew the person?

In the corridor, he saw a petite shadow with long hair straggling down her shoulder. He knew it was Nicole. The shadow of her elfin face, slim figure and small feet was unmistakable.

Yes, then it's good.

Yes, then it's good.

Is all of it okay?

In the corridor, he saw a petite shadow with long hair straggling down her shoulder. He knew it was Nicole. The shadow of her elfin face, slim figure and small feet unmistakable.

Is all of it okay?

In the corridor, he saw a petite shadow with long hair straggling down her shoulder. He knew it was Nicole. The shadow of her elfin face, slim figure and small feet unmistakable.
As always, I would have said so it it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back