Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Are there any differences between "delay" and "postpone"?
Which is the best choice for this sentence?
The football match has been _____ because of bad weather. They will play next Saturday instead.
I hope to receive answers from you soon.

The start could be delayed. If a new (later) date and/or time has been set, then it has been postponed.

The football match has been _____ because of bad weather. They will play next Saturday instead.

I would say postponed here, as it has been rescheduled for the next Saturday.

Differently, if you say delayed there's still a chance for the match to be played on the day

The match has been delayed due to bad weather conditions. Kick off is estimated for 7 o'clock as opposed to 5 o'clock this evening.

Hope it helps.

So if the sentence is: The football match has been _____ because of bad weather, we can use either "delayed" or "postponed", right?

So if the sentence is: The football match has been _____ because of bad weather, we can use either "delayed" or "postponed", right?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) It is only my guess that since you are talking about a football (soccer?) match and

bad weather, the most likely word would be "postponed." After all, no one knows how

long the bad weather will continue, and the authorities probably do not want thousands

of people sitting in a stadium with nothing to do.

(2) On the other hand, "delay" would probably be used in this situation:

TV announcer: Ladies and gentleman, tonight's popular dancing program will be

delayed for 30 minutes. Our president has asked for this time to speak to the nation.

Don't forget, "Dancing Like Mad" will definitely follow the president's speech.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) It is only my guess that since you are talking about a football (soccer?) match and

bad weather, the most likely word would be "postponed."

Is "football" difference from "soccer"? I just think they are the same!:-D

'Football' is the word we non- Americans use to refer to the game widely played in Europe and in many other parts of the world. We sometimes refer to it as 'soccer'; Americans almost always refer to it as 'soccer'

Americans use 'football' to refer to the game widely played in their country. We non-Americans call this 'American football'.

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back