Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this expression, "degrees and framing and context", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

In and of themselves, the sessions with the defense could be exceedingly dull, notwithstanding the tension inside the room, again and again I had the sense that the former president was bored, that he was not hearing the words as I spoke them, that he was barely listening at all. I began to wonder if, rather than bringing home the nature of the acts he had committed, this process was causing them to recede further and further into some state of unreality. The question of his innocence or guilt seemed of little interest to the people in the room, instead they spoke of degrees and framing and context.

- Katie Kitamura, Intimacies, Chapter 11

This is a novel published in 2021 in the United States of America. The protagonist is an interpreter working at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. Now she is interpreting in a meeting held between the accused (the former African president who stands accused of war crimes) and his counsel.

In this part, I wonder what "degrees" and "framing" mean in particular.
I understand that "context" could mean "background/circumstances" in which the crimes are committed (I hope my interpretation is correct. :D)

As for "degrees," would that perhaps mean "levels" of crimes...?
But then, what would "framing" mean? o_O

My guess is that they had already decided he was guilty. The only question was how guilty.

The degrees are of culpability for the crimes. Framing could involve the way the lawyers present the circumstances of the case, the narrative built around it, how they interpret and weigh the evidence, etc.

@Tarheel and @jutfrank,

Thank you very much for the explanations.
So the three words mean:
(1) "degree" means the levels of the culpability of his crimes (how much he is guilty);
(2) "framing" means the way lawyers interpret his crimes; and
(3) "context" means the circumstances in which crimes are committed (probably interpreted in favor of the accused).

I truly appreciate your help. :)

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back