Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi Teachers
I have a question.
I read the following sentence at Yahoo.
"85% of Democratic voters said the Trump presidency was either one of the worst of all time or below average."
Is it possible to write Trump presidency without the ?
If not why ?. If yes, is the meaning different ?
Regards

Re: definite article

Is it possible to write "Trump presidency" without "the"(no space)?
If not, why not(no space)? (No period ("full stop" in British) If yes, is the meaning different(no space)?
See above. Don't put a space before a question mark. Don't use more than one punctuation mark to end a sentence. Always mark words you're writing about with quotation marks or by setting them in bold. Because you omitted the quotation marks around "the", I at first thought you your first question was "Is it possible to write 'Trump presidency' without the question mark?"

The definite article is required before "Trump presidency" in your sentence.

Re: definite article

85% of Democratic voters said the Trump presidency was either one of the worst of all time or below average.

The phrase in bold is a definite noun phrase, so it needs a definite article. A definite noun phrase is a noun phrase that refers to a specific, identifiable entity. The phrase tells us which particular presidency the speaker is thinking of.

Another kind of definite noun phrase uses a possessive 's form instead of an article, as in the following sentence, which has a similar meaning:

85% of Democratic voters said Trump's presidency was either one of the worst of all time or below average.

Please note that I have improved your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Is it possible to write Trump presidency without the ?

In the context of newspaper titles, it is possible to omit the article: "Trump Presidency Said to be Worst Presidency in U.S. History."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back