Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
United States
Does the uncountable "debt" have a meaning of all "debts" owed by a person/entity?

Does the uncountable "debt" have a meaning of all "debts" owed by a person/entity?

He's in serious debt = he owes a lot of money. That could be made up of one large debt or lots of little debts but as a general description of his financial situation, the uncountable "debt" will suffice.

So, one could uncountably "have debt" to pay off?

Is "He has too much debt to pay off" acceptable?

So then, "He has debt to pay off" could be acceptable by extension?

Acceptable, I'd say, but you're much more likley to hear it with a quanitifer: He has some/very little/a lot of/so much debt.

Acceptable, I'd say, but you're much more likley to hear it with a quanitifer: He has some/very little/a lot of/so much debt.

What's a "quanitifer"?!! :-D Actually, I love it as a word. I'm going to invent a definition for it and start using it.

Crap! Ever since I changed browsers, I lost my little built-in spell checker. I need to remember to always use that functionality on this site itself. Without those little red lines, I'm lost!!

Quantifier. Sorry!

Quantifier. Sorry!
Crap!

I was looking forward to reading emsr2d2's definition so that I could start using the much nicer quanitifer.

From a Businessweek magazine article: "[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Times,Serif]Toshiba Corp., for instance, has debt equal to 1.9 times equity already."

[/FONT]

From a Businessweek magazine article: "[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Times,Serif]Toshiba Corp., for instance, has debt equal to 1.9 times equity already."[/FONT]
As Barb said in post #8, it's acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back