Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone. Should I omit the red?

Dangerous sports are difficult
to participate and involve many unknown risks.

Hi, everyone. Should I omit the red?

Dangerous sports are difficult
to participate in and involve many unknown risks.
It's more concise without "to participate in." If you use it, don't forget "in." You can also say, "take part in."

You can also turn it around: Risky, difficult sports are dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean by "difficult to participate in"? Do you mean that it's hard to find opportunities to take part in dangerous sports, or that it's hard to convince yourself to do it?

Thank you both.
What do you mean by "difficult to participate in"? Do you mean that it's hard to find opportunities to take part in dangerous sports, or that it's hard to convince yourself to do it?
I want to say dangerous sports are difficult to play. For example, It's difficult to climb a cliff. However, I learned that you can't use 'play' with 'dangerous sports'. Dangerous sports like skydiving can't be played.

So, how can I express what I want to say?

Most of the sports I can think of that are dangerous wouldn't work with "play" anyway, even without the adjective.

Skiing is a dangerous sport. :tick:
I play skiing. :cross:

Rockclimbing can be a dangerous sport. :tick:
I play rockclimbing. :cross:

"Dangerous sports are difficult." That's not necessarily true, though.

Thank you both.

I want to say dangerous sports are difficult to play. For example, It's difficult to climb a cliff. However, I learned that you can't use 'play' with 'dangerous sports'. Dangerous sports like skydiving can't be played.

So, how can I express what I want to say?
Yes, you can play dangerous sports. Playing football, rugby, squash, or jai alai is dangerous.

But are dangerous sports really more difficult than safer sports?:

Thanks, everyone. How about this?
Dangerous sports
involve many challenges and unknown risks.

Why are the risks not known?

Are you trying to talk yourself into doing something, or are you trying to talk yourself out of doing something?

Are you trying to talk yourself into doing something, or are you trying to talk yourself out of doing something?
I think those challenges and risks can help you grow.
Is my sentence in #8 correct and does it make sense?

Weather may change. Rocks may roll down the the hill. You just don't know.

Those clearly are known risks. In fact, it is unlikely that there are any that aren't known.

Rocks may roll down the hill.

Thanks, in my sentence, should I use 'the' or 'a'?

A huge rock may suddenly roll down the/a hill and kill a cliff climber.

Thanks, in my sentence, should I use 'the' or 'a'?

A huge rock may suddenly roll down [STRIKE]the/a hill[/STRIKE] and kill a cliff climber.
I wouldn't mention the hill at all.

Why are the risks not known?
Yes. Dangerous sports have both known and unknown risks. I was wondering why the known risks don't matter here. It would be a stronger statement if it just said "risks."

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a teacher
------

I think you've given up on participate too quickly. I think I could reword your original sentence to make participate work. How do you like this sentence?

It's difficult to participate in dangerous sports.

Difficult doesn't necessarily refer to the level of skill required to participate in them. It can also express the emotional struggles or your family's attitude towards what you do.

Thanks, everyone. How about this?
Dangerous sports
involve many challenges and unknown risks.

It's grammatically correct but doesn't show a clear grasp of the concept of risk. Weather may change and rocks may fall. Both of those are therefore known risks. (Cross posted with Charlie.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back