Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,

Right now I am watching tv series Man vs Wild and the presenter Bear Grylls says at one moment:

"Eating any raw flesh in this place (Panama jungle) is dancing with the devil."

Is the bold text a common English idiom?

Thanks a lot

Yes. It means putting oneself in danger.

I wouldn't have thought it was that common. I wonder if that's yet another AmE thing. ;-)

I wouldn't have thought it was that common. I wonder if that's yet another AmE thing. ;-)

Bear Grylls comes from Northern Ireland.

I've heard "dancing with the devil" but in my part of the UK, at least, it's more common to hear "dicing with death" or "taking your life into your hands".

In Br E, what you usually do with the devil is "dine/sup/eat with a long spoon" (which doesn't mean the same - it means 'If you have to get involved with bad people, be very careful"). ;-)

b

I've never heard that in my life!

In what parts of the UK do you live then?

Last edited:
I don't think geography is as important as vintage :)

I live to the north of emsr2d2, but not significantly far, and her roots might be more northern than mine (which are in London's western suburbs). But I'm not making it up! (See here and here)

b

Last edited:
South coast born and bred, BobK. Plenty of northerners married into the family but I've never heard that phrase from anyone, from anywhere, or of any age. What a sheltered life I've had! I'm not mentioning your vintage. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back