Cynicism

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcletuan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Conan O'Brian said on The Tonight Show on NBC, "Don't be cynical. I hate cynicism." Can you help explain what cynical means and describe how someone being cynical. Thanks so much.

When people are negative, excessively critical or distrustful, they are often described as cynical. Cynics don't trust or believe politicians and other people in authority, expect projects to fail, think people are motivated by greed and/or lying, etc.

The original meaning from the band of Greek thinkers who believed that self-control and virtue were essential to be virtuous is rarely used, if ever, in everyday speech and writing.

Hasn't this question been asked twice already by the same user?

Hello Tdol:
Your help is greatly appreciated. Now I can understand this word and know how to use it when approriate. Many thanks. Have a wonderful day!
Tuan

Conan O'Brian said on The Tonight Show on NBC, "Don't be cynical. I hate cynicism." Can you help explain what cynical means and describe how someone being cynical. Thanks so much.
***NOT A TEACHER***Maybe Mr. O'Brien was trying to say that his audience should not let what happened to him make them bitter or think the worst of people. On his last show, in fact, he did thank NBC for 20 (?) years of employment. Also, maybe he meant that his audience should realize that when people say something, they could actually be sincere and not necessarily lying. Thank you.

Hello ThePasser:
Thanks for relating specically the use of this word to Mr. Conans saying to his audience on his last show. It makes much sense about the possibility of his intention for conveying his message.
Sincerely yours,
Tuan

I am sorry. I meant to write TheParser. By the way, I love this forum. It is highly purposeful and educational. Thank you!

Hello ThePasser:
Thanks for relating specically the use of this word to Mr. Conans saying to his audience on his last show. It makes much sense about the possibility of his intention for conveying his message.
Sincerely yours,
Tuan
You're very welcome. By the way, watching Conan is a great way to practice your English. Hopefully, he'll be back in September.

I hope so too. He is very entertaining and I have learned many things from his show. I have been watching his reruns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back