Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Could one say:
1) My best friend cut me off.
instead of:
1a) My best friend cut all ties with me.
He ended his friendship with me.

I have seen 'cut off' used in this way, but I think it was always about someone being excluded from a group (e. g. All my friends cut me off)

Could one say:
2) A big drunk fellow cut me off in the line.
instead of:
2a) A big drunk fellow cut the line in front of me.

Gratefully,
Navi

Absent any other context, I would take "My best friend cut me off" to mean that they hung up the phone in the middle of a conversation with me. We sometimes use the phrase in a financial context to mean to stop giving someone money. Imagine a (spoiled) teenager saying "I can't go away with my friends this summer. My dad's cut me off".

It definitely doesn't work in the context of a queue (line). Sentence 2a uses the wrong word order. It should be "A big drunk fellow cut in front of me in the line (queue)".

In BrE, you'll hear "My friend Helen's blanking me", meaning she's refusing to speak to or acknowledge me. A few decades ago, you might have heard "She's sent me to Coventry". "Send someone to Coventry" meant ostracising someone - refusing to speak to them and effectively behaving as if they didn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back