Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Upstream Proficiency by Virginia Evans and Jenny Dooley.

Could you tell me why the definite article is used here? I would say flocked to e-banks.

1658958929882.png

These things are not mobile-friendly. Having said that, the article is probably optional there.

I can't catch your idea.

@Nonverbis What idea?

The things you have posted most recently are not mobile friendly. (It's hard for me to read them using my device.)

"The e-banks" refers to those specific ones available during the honeymoon period previously mentioned.

Articles are one of the most difficult aspects for non-natives. Do you really feel that the definite article is necessary here? Or you just explain why it is used here?

I still can't feel that the definite article is suitable. The idea of electronic transactions is and has for some time already been obvious. Therefore as soon as the technology allowed, ebanks appeared. I suppose, there were a lot of them. Anyway, indefinite number of banks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't actually know what an e-bank is! I assume it's what we call an internet bank - a bank with no branches, operating entirely online (and sometimes by phone).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back