Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dear teacher,

I came across this sentence online below!

This time around, the 2023/2024 Champion League winner either Real madrid or Dortmund could have been paid a maximum total of 85.14 m euro, but that would have required the winning side to have had a perfect campaign from start to finish.

My question is about using "Could have been" I know that this is for degrees of possibility and probability in the past but this news was before the match which was going to be held on 01 june, 2024.

--how a writer used "Could have been" for future possibility and probability? Kindly help me understand!

-- Kindly help me understand on "to have had" on the sentence above as well

As with your previous thread, you have failed to provide the source information. Please note that it is a legal requirement on the forum that you tell us the source and author of any text you did not write yourself. If you didn't make a note of that information when you noted down the text, you can't ask us about it. Writing "I came across this sentence online" is simply not sufficient.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back