Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello all,

Again I need your opinion. Here is the sentence:

Learn to speak plain, direct English. Instead of saying “We need a level playing field,” say “We need things to be fair.” Instead of “Let me run this idea past you,” try “Let me tell you my idea.” And try to imagine what this colloquialism may mean to someone who has just learned English: “There is no magic bullet,” which could better be expressed as “There is no universal or quick solution.”

My doubt here is, is the position of the word better correct or should it be before the word expressed---could be better expressed as...?

If the original is correct, could you please explain why? Thanks as always!

I would use "could be better expressed" or "could be expressed better".

The original is correct, though.

The original is correct, though.

I have never heard it that way (the original), but then again, my knowledge and experience is quite limited!

Does it perhaps have a different meaning? Or Mike's versions and the original all mean the same?

Last edited:
I have never heard it that way (the original), but then again, my knowledge and experience is quite limited!

Does it perhaps have a different meaning? Or Mike's versions and the original all mean the same?

It would be OK in British English, though less common and mostly found in more formal usage. As Piscean says, the meaning would be the same

Does it perhaps have a different meaning, or do Mike's versions and the original all mean the same?
Please note the correct way of phrasing your question.

They all mean the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back