correction of spoken errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gloriaf

Member Type
Student or Learner
What are the implications for correcting beyond knowledge of the subject and methodology? and also in what ways can a student be corrected without affecting his behaviour?? please give examples for I'm thorned within this matter. I sincerely appreciate your ideas,
thank you,

gloria f.

1 I'm not sure what 'thorned' means.
2 I'm not sure what you mean by 'implications'. Implications for whom? Do you mean 'How sensible is it to correct...?'?
3 I'm not sure what you mean by 'beyond knowledge of the subject and methodology'. If a student doesn't understand a correction, I don't see what good it can do to anyone.
4 And is it the implication or the correction that is 'beyond knowledge of the subject and methodology'?
5 I'm not sure why anyone would want to correct someone without wanting to change that person's behaviour.

In short, I can't help. If you're saying you don't want to be corrected because you don't want to change, say so (although it's beyond me that anyone would want both to learn and not to change). ;-)

b

What are the implications for correcting beyond knowledge of the subject and methodology? and also in what ways can a student be corrected without affecting his behaviour?? please give examples for I'm thorned within this matter. I sincerely appreciate your ideas,
thank you,

gloria f.

thorn--confused
without affecting his behaviour meaning how can you correct without causing fear on the ss. if you correct him too much he might not participate
anymore. how should we correct then??

thank you,

gloria f.

thorn--confused
without affecting his behaviour meaning how can you correct without causing fear on the ss. if you correct him too much he might not participate
anymore. how should we correct then??
As a teacher one has to focus; it's tempting to correct everything that's wrong - at the expense of the lesson's objectives. Students can be overloaded with information, and just feel squashed and dispirited. So you'll see a variety of correction rationales here in this forum. I feel that if I quote something back in a reply, and don't correct something, it somehow gives my 'blessing' to a mistake. On the other hand, there's the problem of focus. It's a fine line.

Re 'thorned': we don't use this metaphor in this context, but we do use a related word, 'piqued' (/pi:kt/),though this doesn't mean quite the same. (We also use a similar-sounding expression - 'a thorn in ones side' - but this means something very different ['a person who is a constant worry or bother or trial'; example 'his drug-addict brother was always sleeping on his sofa, asking for money, and stealing things he'd left around in the flat - a constant thorn in his side.'].) For your purpose I'd say 'This has always bothered/intrigued/worried me'. You could also say the issue has been 'nagging' at you - but this is a bit too creative for a language learner to get away with it!

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back